Bake Sweet Potatoes w/o Aluminum
Aluminum* is in lots of things we eat, one in particular is a commonly baked sweet potato!
When we think of baking a sweet potato, the first thing we often think is to buy some Renolds Wrap, right? We wrap up that potato tight and stick it in the oven, not even thinking about the fact that the aluminum will move into that piece of food as it heats up. We then eat that tasty sweet potato, thinking about how healthy we are eating – all the while ingesting unnecessary aluminum.
I want to share a simple way my husband cooks sweet potatoes -> Aluminum FREE 😉
What you need…
- unbleached, parchment paper
- cookie sheet
- sweet potatoes (or whatever type of potato you want to bake)
- coconut oil (refined or unrefined, but the unrefined has coconut flavor. refined is flavorless)
What you do…
- Put a piece of unbleached parchment paper on cookie sheet.
- Wash potatoes and poke a few holes in top with knife, place on cookie sheet.
- Drizzle coconut oil on each potato.
- Bake in oven at 425 degrees F for 30 to 45 minutes. (or until a fork goes through them easily.)
We put some tasty organic, grass fed butter and Sea Love Sea Salt on the sweet potato and eat every bit – especially the skin – try it! It is SO GOOD, especially with the coconut oil. Sweet potatoes are a super food and the skin is the best part!
Tip – We wrap these up in saran wrap once cooked and use them for a snack on the road. they are good cold and make a great snack!
Below are some quotes about aluminum in our food and their sources …
* “It can no longer be argued that aluminum does not have a role in neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s—the evidence is very clear and growing. It really should not be surprising that people with aluminum toxicity display many of the same symptoms as those with dementia, Parkinson’s, ADHD, autism, and other neurological diseases, because aluminum targets exactly these areas of your brain and nervous system..”.. Read More: http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2015/04/is-it-safe-to-cook-with-aluminum-foil-here-is-the-surprising-truth.html
* If you’re concerned about toxicity, limit your contact with items that contain aluminum. Don’t cook food wrapped in or covered with aluminum foil. http://www.marthastewart.com/272550/healthy-aluminum-tips
* Protect Your Bones and Your Brain – Never cook, heat up, or place hot food on aluminum foil. http://saveourbones.com/stop-doing-this-with-aluminum-foil/
~ MMJ (blogging for Mike 🙂 )